ShShares NETWORK

Week 4 Questions & Discussion

Viewing 35 reply threads
  • Author

***What stood out for you most in this week’s reading?***

1. Post a 150+ word Weekly Reading Summary
      2. Post a 50+ word reply to 2 other learners
      3. Post all of your questions and answers here regarding the reading material for the week.

KaMyka Glenn
      Participant

This week’s reading made me really question and reflect on  a lot of things that are happening in my life at this present time.For instance, God- has given me a gift that I do not understand, know what to do with it, or why he has given it to me. I have prayed and asked for clarity or insight and have been showed little insights here or there but still no clear direction. Therefore, I will continue to pray, seek his guidance and instruction, and be obedient.

In chapter 8, it made me recall a time during my recent graduate program where I had to assess myself using various assessments so we could gain clarity of self as well as know how our students would feel while taking the assessments. It was such an eye- opener and brought so much clarity to my life. I found that experience to be so insightful and helpful in expanded the journey of learning me. A couple of years ago I focused on just learning and getting to know me, while that class recently helped to expand my views on me and learning more about me in a work environment. I found the awareness issues chart on page 135 to be tool to use as a guide to navigate my sessions with clients.

Chapter 9 brought clarity to the terms “being called” vs “passion,” which also made me reflect on my calling— that I am still trying to identify and get clarity on. I loved the verse from the bible, “Live a life worthy of your calling, for you have been called by God.”- Ephesians 4:1

• This reply was modified 4 years, 12 months ago by KaMyka Glenn.

Luberta Lytle
      Participant

Kamyka,
      God has given you a specific gift and in his due time he will give you the clarity regarding what he wants you to do with this gift. In the mean time continue to pray and ask for an understanding regarding how he wants you to use this gift to better serve him. Most people would not take the time and pray for clarity, they would just brush it off and move on to something else. Continue to pray and wait on God for further instruction. Waiting is a big problem for our society, because we feel that we need to know everything before it happens and we grow impatient the longer we have to wait for the end result. Be patient and you will receive your answer.

Kamyka,

this chapter has caused me to be the most reflectful.  I certainly  understand what it’s like to have a God-given gift that you don’t understand.  I was in the same boat some years ago…and although I am fully aware of it now, it still somewhat scares me, because one I’m like Lord why did you chose me, I’m so unworthy, and two, because I’m like Lird, people won’t accept or want to hear this…it definitely can be a struggle at times…because you somewhat struggle inwardly and struggle with the outside reaction from others.  but you said it best…continue to ask God for clarity…ask Him for Holy boldness and what in your callin girlfriend

KaMyka Glenn
          Participant

Na’khia, thank you for your testimony and words of encouragement. You ain’t lying about the struggle …. it’s real! I do ask Why me God! Why did you make me like this? But I know it’s because of where I’m going and the destiny that he has laid out for me. However, I think to myself it would be nice to get a glimpse:-)

I will take your advice and ask for those things that you outlined. Thank you for the insight.

KaMyka Glenn
        Participant

Luberta, thank you for the encouragement  and support. I am learning that as I wait that he gives me clarity when the time is right. Yes, I wonder a lot about what is it for but I know that he will tell me when I am suppose to know and until then to keep moving in the direction. I will continue to pray and seek clarity and direction from God.  I really appreciate your words of wisdom.

Luberta Lytle
      Participant

This weeks reading helped me to understand that I have allowed my fear of stepping out of my comfort zone interfere with my growth. In Chapter 8 on page 131, the book talks about the goldfish named Jonah. I can compare myself to that goldfish. I became very settled in my daily routine and had no desire to change any part of my life.  It finally hit me that it was time for me to do something different with my life.  In the beginning and even know I still  feel uncomfortable, but realize that is actually part of the growth process.  Christians have a tendency to know that God has a specific calling on our life and instead of acting on that calling, we will ignore it.  God will allow things to happen, just to see if we realize that it he is just wanting on you to respond to his calling, that has been placed on your life.  He basically tells his followers you can run but you can’t hide from what I want you to do with your life to better serve me.  We don’t like change but sometimes change is good.  I’m starting to see things in a completely different prospective than I did a year ago.  I’m getting in touch with the present and my future is starting to look a lot brighter.  I want the same thing for my clients.  We haven’t been placed on this earth just to be average, we are destined to be awesome.  Really enjoyed this week reading brought a lot of this into prospective for me regarding learning things about myself.

Meochia Clayton
        Participant

Luberta, I found the story about Jonah and how people tend to swim in a little circle when they have the entire ocean to explore.  Unlike Jonah, I’ve taken a lot of opportunities and really expanded my territory; however, I feel that I am now at a crossroads and unsure as to which opportunity I should take.  Based on my readings, this is the point in my life when I have to draw nearer to God.  Become more intimate with the Holy Spirit so that he can reveal my true (spiritual) gifts.  I feel stuck because I’ve done all that is in my power to do and now it’s time to stop using my own power.

I also completely enjoyed the reading about Jonah the goldfish.  Initially, I didn’t feel that it pertained to me because I feel that I am always venturing out and trying new things.  I don’t consider myself to be a shy person so I don’t mind stepping outside of my ‘circle’ to meet new people.  However, as I continued to read, Dr. Collins touched on the subject of ‘busyness’ and how some of those most affected by the Jonah Concept are those that have particularly busy lives or high pressure jobs are the very ones that are not taking the time to look at the opportunities that may be right in front of them.  Hmmm, maybe we should call that the ‘ostrich syndrome’ .. .so busy with your head buried in work/life/whatever that you don’t take time to peek out and see what you’re missing….

KaMyka Glenn
        Participant

Luberta,

I agree that God will make you shift if you resist what he has laid out for us. It is definitely easy to get complacent and stuck in our ways but I am grateful that I learned and accepted that growth, change, and forward movement is good as well as challenges you in all areas for the good. I absolutely loved all the parables and stories used to outline the message.

Great insight, Coach Luberta.  I completely agree that the reading from this particular week awakened some self awareness for me as well. The Jonah story was insightful, but I really appreciated when the author broke it down and showed how the Jonah mentality can also apply “high titled” individuals.  Such as the CEO who is so busy and caught up in the day to day routine of dealing with their own stresses and busyness that they don’t take time to step back and look at other avenues.  That section in particular spoke to me and made me stop and say ..”I’m guilty”.

Luberta Lytle
      Participant

This weeks reading helped me to understand that I have allowed my fear of stepping out of my comfort zone interfere with my growth. In Chapter 8 on page 131, the book talks about the goldfish named Jonah. I can compare myself to that goldfish. I became very settled in my daily routine and had no desire to change any part of my life.  It finally hit me that it was time for me to do something different with my life.  In the beginning and even know I still  feel uncomfortable, but realize that is actually part of the growth process.  Christians have a tendency to know that God has a specific calling on our life and instead of acting on that calling, we will ignore it.  God will allow things to happen, just to see if we realize that it he is just wanting on you to respond to his calling, that has been placed on your life.  He basically tells his followers you can run but you can’t hide from what I want you to do with your life to better serve me.  We don’t like change but sometimes change is good.  I’m starting to see things in a completely different prospective than I did a year ago.  I’m getting in touch with the present and my future is starting to look a lot brighter.  I want the same thing for my clients.  We haven’t been placed on this earth just to be average, we are destined to be awesome.  Really enjoyed this week reading brought a lot of this into prospective for me regarding learning things about myself.

Meochia,

i agree with you.  people do in fact tend to swim in a little circles for many different reasons, but one thing that I’ve been asking the Lord is that He enlarge my territory…and that He remove all fear and doubt that may hinder menfrom accomplishing what he called me to do.  I agree when you say you have to be intuned to the Holy Spirit in order to receive clear direction…it’s easy to move in self, but that’s when we, well I’ll just talk about me, most times that’s when I would make a mess of things!!!

Anonymous
        Inactive

Coach Lytle, I agree change has been a weakness of many Christians. We shut ourselves out to learning new things and operating in our gifts and callings. We tend to do what has always been done instead of pursuing our passion and moving towards our destiny and calling. A spirit of fear has kept many Christians from stepping out of the box and moving towards our destiny. He called us to advance the kingdom through out gifts and talents. There is a purpose and a plan for our lives and once we move out of fear then we can move freely towards our calling and destiny.

FEAR!!! the story of Jonah is in fact one of my favorite stories.  this week’s reading made me look at the story a little differently.  as I was reading this chapter I literally put myself in Jonah’s shoes.  I too have found myself running because of fear…I had gotten so complacent in my little box that I had neglected to even try to do what I KNEW God had called me to do.  Many times, like some of our clients we will meet, I let fear get in the way of dreams, desires, aspirations, etc., and I’ve missed out on opportunities, promotions, etc.  Fear is gripping…and we face many fears…fear of failure, fear of he unknown, fear of responsibility…JUST FEAR!!! fear is definitely a trick of the enemy, for I realize that God has not given me (us) the spirit of fear, and even in knowing that…WHY do I continue to let fear hinder me in certain areas. It was in reading this that I found myself putting myself in the shoes of a potential client and really understand and relating to the fact that fear itself is a scary thing, especially when change is needed

Luberta Lytle
        Participant

Meochia,

I agree completely with you.  God will move you in his due time.  I have also asked for him to expand my territory and give me the understand for what he wants me to do.  Our desires and timing sometime gets us into a lot of trouble because we can become very impatient on waiting for something to occur in our lives.  Generally when we move too soon then we make a mess of things and then pray to God for him to help clean up the mess instead of just praying for clarity and waiting for an answer.  This chapter did cause me to do some soul searching.  I have realized that it is time for me to step out of my Comfort Zone and allow myself to start feeling Uncomfortable for Growth to Happen in my Life.

The time is now ladies for us to move Out of Our Own Way and start using the Gifts that God has given each one of us!!

KaMyka Glenn
      Participant

Na’khia,

A new perspective and new set of eyes is a wonderful thing. FEAR is a beast but when I started my company in 2013 I decided that I would defeat it. Yes it will rear its ugly head and lingers for a little but I try to remember and tell myself to keep moving so I can overcome the fear. I too, have pushed things aside or ran due to fear or my own insecurities  BUT GOD….

So it’s time that WE step out, overcome our fears, and move forward with the changes that God has in place for us!

Coach D Nicole!
      Keymaster

>Hello Ladies. I pray all is well with each of you.
      In this week’s reading starting with chapter 8.  In the beginning of this reading it started by referencing and telling of a familiar bible story of Jonah. I can truly relate to being like Jonah the fish, just going in circles and doing the same things over and over again and not embracing the opportunities that were out there waiting for me. This past weekend I took that a leap and stepped out of my comfort zone. I took that step of facing fears and dared to dream with God. I became a small business owner and allow my visions to come true. In my past I allowed the fear to hinder me and to keep me in the comfort zone where no progress was being made and no changes.  As this chapter elaborates on Present circumstances and Values and self-awareness, those are some things I had to evaluate in my life. In recognizing my values in wanting to start this business, I beat Fear and with God I achieved my Goal!

<Having self-awareness allows us to see things in ourselves that we have never notice before.  Of course we all know that people and even some of us have a lot going but I believe as this chapter reads that if we take the time to understand the present circumstances of our clients and even ourselves, we can assist one to get past that standing still position they are in or going in circles and help them to get where God wants them to be.

Anonymous
        Inactive

First I must say CONGRATULATIONS Lady Tomika on this major milestone. Being a business owner is no small step (I know all too well how to relate to the fears and struggle of inadequacy). So the fact that you made this faith-walk into entrepreneurship, I know God is please (His Word says Faith pleases Him – Heb. 11:6). I also pray that God will continue to guide you, order your steps and bless you with honest customers who are willing to pay for your services. You go girl.. I’m inspired!

Coach D Nicole!
      Keymaster

Chapter 9
      This was a very good read, as it referred to pursuing and finding your passion.

What I got out of this chapter is that finding your passion is necessary. Without passion, how will you reach your goals? Having passion gives you purpose and it helps people keep their dreams alive. If you are convinced that you have no passion then 9 times of 10 it will remain that way. You must have the right perspective in order to find your passion.
      At the end of this chapter it reads about understanding your spiritual gifts. I am well aware of my spiritual gifts now, however in my past I didn’t understand nor did I embrace the gifts. People whom interacted with me, would tell me what they thought my gifts were and who God said I am. But I had to find that out for myself. In doing so I committed to an intimate relationship with God and found my gifts to be intercession and discernment.</p>

Anonymous
        Inactive

I enjoyed reading chapter 9, because I am naturally a passionate person so it even ignite a bigger fire in me to learn more about how passion can contribute to my coaching gift and practice. Discernment is one of my spiritual gifts too and I believe in this season, its even more important to have discernment because more false prophets are rising up and we have to know when something is not God led. So continue praying for increase in that area Tomika, it will help in your business also.

Anonymous
      Inactive

This weeks reading allowed me to see how I had become just like Jonah the goldfish as well as, Jonah from the bible. I was happy with all the talents I had but stuck in the “what if”, doing what was comfortable and familiar to me, and just enough to say at least I used it. On the other side, I was running from the responsibility and reasons for the gifts I have. Not wanting to be the minister by title but, “I will minister” type if you get my point. I didn’t see myself being anymore than that someone who just knew how, and what to do. Also, being afraid to let others know that I could do. I was living in a shell of “if I fail or mess up, no one will know because no one knows me.” It was my comfort zone. This chapter I must say helped me to see where I was before now, and how much further I have to go. Focusing on those things, taking steps, and making plans. I have always been able to encourage others to find direction and go in it, but it was easier said than done. I couldn’t understand how others didn’t move with forward with their gifts, or life decisions, and often times I did my best to make sure they did, and then went back to my little fish bowl! It help me to understand how easy it is for someone to become stagnant and stuck in routines. Thinking that we are fulfilled until someone hits us with just the right questions.

Anonymous
        Inactive

So many of us can relate to feeling stuck and inadequate my sister… I pray as we continue on this coaching journey, we will walk by faith every step of the way and we will not allow fear to hinder the plans God has for our lives.

Anonymous
      Inactive

In chapter 9 I first of all enjoyed this quote from page 157 “Passion without purpose is meaningless.” This chapter was inspiring as well as, another eye opener. Because I currently am stuck in a place I don’t want to be in doing what I love, but not the way I love it! I know purpose and I know where my passions are, but for me it’s more like (and anyone feel free to jump in here anytime lol) but it’s like I am in handcuffs! Almost as if to say, “you can do what you love just do it how we say.” I’m not one who likes restrictions or else it puts me back in the place of chapter 8, my little fish bowl! Again, great at getting other to stand up and out, but what in the world happens lol. Anyway, this was me and I have just this year started to come out of this. I had to see that God had more and He never intended for me to settle for what “man” says I can and can’t have. This is what drives my passion to help others, to help them see their value and demand more from themselves! I had people who told me all the time, “you are so much more” and “there is so much in you”, and it took me believing it myself to see it. There we also times as discussed on page 159 where, the distractions came in and made me say, “well maybe not.” I am a firm believer that our spiritual gifts play a major role in our passion and purpose and that we must understand those in order to move. These two chapters focus on being aware of the now, what you value now, what your passion is now, what are you gifted in….now?

Anonymous
        Inactive

Love Love the passion that is obvious in your posts my sister:-) I really enjoyed the awareness stage of Chapter 8 and 9 also and I’m looking forward to helping my clients do the same thing.

Anonymous
      Inactive

God is so intentional… Yesterday just before I started reading Chapter 8, I had a situation where I was questioning what are my main values regarding my brand and my ministry. I realize that sometimes our passion and purpose can consume us so much that we can actually start questioning what are main values are. So its important that our self-awareness is first built on our Christian values and that our foundation is built in pleasing Christ above even our passions and purpose. Once I was able to check myself and recognize that above everything else my relationship with GOD is most important then clarity and peace was regained. I will re-read chapter 8 because it was truly helpful.

Of course, chapter 9 was really good because I am naturally a passionate person and this has ignite my enthusiasm for life. I believe in putting my passion into practice though, I need to surround myself with supportive people. I don’t believe I truly have that. My family is super supportive and that’s something I am really thankful for but just a few friends, I can truly say encourages me to never loose sight of my goals. One of my main passion is to help others find their purpose also and I believe reading this chapter has heighten that desire.

The course keeps getting better though… I do pray I will be the Caribbean’s top empowerment coach after this:-0

Mojo81
      Participant

In this week’s reading if was a reality check. Getting in touch with the person, I believe starts with getting in touch with yourself first. You must be aware of truly who you are, what you are, and who you desire to be. You must be able to use everything both the goods and the bad to work for you. Pursuing your passion starts with accepting your past, not looking at it as a hindrance but more so dissecting it to acknowledge your why’s and because. It’s not easy to look in the mirror and truly see the ugliness that served a purpose to the better you now. What I’ve learned in my walk is that the more I am able to expose who I am through overcoming who I was, makes it even better view in moving toward who I’m destined to be. It is very important to be you. Sounds easy, but not as easy as it sounds. It’s easy to feel pretty once you get made up with makeup and clothes, but being you starts before the outward appearance is made up. This is a exactly how you have to view clients, I don’t want to know your made up, I want to know the real you and be able to receive it without judgement. Be open to understand that they may not know either. This was the most vital part of this week’s reading for me.

Anonymous
        Inactive

I can definitely relate to your findings! I found myself pondering very deeply on the information given and assessing my own readiness to come to grips with and solidify my values and gifts as well as weaknesses.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Assignment:

The assignment for week for requires lots of self evaluation. This is particularly helpful to me personally as I am in  transitional period and found my passion dwindling. Chapter 8 delves deeply into assessing and being able to identify and live out our values. It also speaks of and gives ways we can help our clients do the same. The importance of being aware of these things in ourselves before we can coach someone on the topic is extremely helpful because I have always believed in practicing what we preach. It is never a waste to evaluate ourselves.

Reflecting on my strengths and weaknesses from past sessions has made me aware of what I am capable of adding to the lives of my clients and how I can fail them if I am not careful. I recognized my desire to help people heal interfered in the past so I have been working on staying focused. I have gotten better at fighting my urge to give advice. My weak areas were definitely listening effectively and following up effectively in my initial stages. I am now much more aware of those weaknesses and my desire to be the best I can.

I plan on putting what I have learned in the readings into practice and ensuring that I am the coach God would be pleased with and that my clients can benefit most from. One of the ways is by greater accountability with my peers and weekly reflections that will ensure I am staying on track and remaining passionate.

Anonymous
      Inactive

This week’s reading has awakening me to recognize my strengths and weaknessI realize my weakness is not giving directions but rather listening and asking strong questions. I believe it is imperative to do a self-assessment from time to allow you to make the necessary adjustments. This reading material has allowed me to recognize how in the past few chapters I wasn’t as strong in my assessment and in this case, there was a very strong need for improvement in being more aware and having more defined responses. Based on an understanding of my assessment of me, I believe my motives are clearly defined by the values. Acknowledging my weaknesses has allowed me to appreciate my strengths. While I am one of the goldfish syndrome, I believe stepping out of the box has always been my strength because of my faith. I believe my faith in God has allowed me be bold, however, staying committed has be a weakness. In the past it has crippled me as having to adjust my priorities and to remain focused and committed.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Coach Rodall, Congrats on your business. Having boldness helped you overcome fear. Boldness along with fait will always conquer fear. Identifying who you are in Christ is what allowed you to overcome fear. You did not allow fear to cripple you. You stepped out of your comfort zone and made it happen. Inserting your faith along with acknowledging your worth aided you in moving forward. How inspiring!

Lisa
      Participant

This week’s read opened with a thriving BANG for me!! The story of the goldfish Jonah put the entire coaching/client relationship in prospective for me. Talking about an “AHA” moment. The analogy of taking the fish out of his/her bowl and placing him/her in a larger body of water while cleaning the the bowl only to return to find the fish in the corner of the tub, swimming in a little circle no bigger than the bowl…WOW! Then the author transitioned the analogy to people and how we go in circles, stay with familiar routines and oblivious to opportunities was such an IMPACTFUL story for me.<span style=”mso-spacerun: yes;”>  </span>In fact, I see using it with my future clients, this story applies to all of our everyday lives and for me personally as I go through this course, it has aided me in realizing that being an extreme introvert and swimming only in my safe little corner of the bowl, has made me (and will make me) miss out on many VAST opportunities this world and new career has to offer.<span style=”mso-spacerun: yes;”>  </span>The author also used sports as a constant example to getting points across and being a previous athlete they resonated loud for me.<span style=”mso-spacerun: yes;”>  </span>The example of athletic coaches taking a “time out” on page 132 to give athletes a moment to “pause” provided insight on the importance of me during my coaching sessions to allow time for clients to think and evaluate the questions I ask. It puts in prospective for me, the importance of me <b style=”mso-bidi-font-weight: normal;”><u>HEAR</u></b>ing and <b style=”mso-bidi-font-weight: normal;”><u>WAIT</u></b>ing on their responses instead of interjecting and trying to solve it for them.<span style=”mso-spacerun: yes;”>  </span>There were so many AHA and enlightening points in these two Chapters that I would have a 5-10 page summary! From the teaching of “heightening awareness in clients, understanding and identifying our values to learning the difference from Passion and Calling I just loved this week’s reading assignment. What I will wrap this up to say is that Chapter 9 significance is that I will continuously utilize it to “self-evaluate” and “self-introspect” the ever evolving strengths and weakness I will face as I continue in life both personally and professionally.<span style=”mso-spacerun: yes;”>  </span>I personally reached out to a past boss, employee and personal longtime friend to answer the following question on page 154 “Think of some people who know you well, who have talked with you often and spent time with you, what they see as your passion”. The answers were profound as I did not see myself in their eyes and their prospective of me brought to light that maybe, just maybe what I’m calling a “passion” is also my “calling” and my impact has been greater than I’ve realized.<span style=”mso-spacerun: yes;”>  </span>Great read this week.<span style=”mso-spacerun: yes;”>  </span>I love it!!!!

Elizabeth Howze
      Participant

Fear has definitely been a resounding theme as push forward into this entrepreneurial journey. I resonated with the story of Jonah the Goldfish on pg. 131 because that was how I had been feeling for the past few months. I was consumed with the hustle and bustle of my daily routine and it become very robotic in a sense. When I transitioned out of the position and decided to make the leap into entrepreneurship, I felt trapped by fear even though I was confident in the skills and experiences I had possessed over the years. My latest buddy coaching session helped me to really name, acknowledge, and create a plan to overcome fear so that I would not self sabotage my own business before it even launched. I’m imagining that I felt this way about moving from where I am to where I want to go, then my clients may feel the same way. I appreciated the advice of using discussion guides and questionnaires as diagnostic tools to help clients increase their own self-awareness. Table 8-2, on pg. 137, lists some examples of why clients get “stuck” and I find this helpful to keep in mind when listening to what clients say and don’t say. I have found in my coaching calls that at least one of these reasons is the root cause for why clients are struggling to transition.

Elizabeth Howze
      Participant

Responding to Lisa:

The sports illustration on page 132 was really helpful to me as well. It is so important that we learn to appreciate and utilize the “pause” so that we can reevaluate, make important decisions, and plot strategies that will lead us forward. As coaches, we may need to be the ones to step on our client’s field and call a “time-out” because the client may not even be in the space to recognize the need for a time-out or appreciate the value that an intentional  time-out holds.

Lindsay Weston
      Participant

<p class=”MsoNormal”><span style=”font-family: ‘Georgia’,serif; color: #333333; background: white;”>  </span>This week’s reading gave me a lot of insight on values and passion. Clear values give us energy and fulfillment. Values bring us inner peace, help us make decisions and are the foundation for growth. A few months ago, a young woman stopped my children and I while we were getting something to eat and she told my kids that I changed her life and the program really helped her. Now when she initially started yelling at us from the sidewalk, I did not know WHAT kind of conversation we were about to have lol! I remember thinking “Lord, what have I done now? Why is she yelling at me?” While sending my kids to the car she began to talk about her experience and what she is where she is now. A peace came over me and it warmed my heart to see that she is doing well.                    Unlike values where we define or identify them.  Our passion is what God created us to do. What stuck out to me was Making the Commitment p157. When I thought about living guided by my passion, fear set in. I struggle with taking risk and I started with the “what if” questions.  The very next paragraph states that Nehemiah was “very much afraid” to say what he was passionate about. He eventually set aside his doubts and committed to going ahead with his passion. That inspired me, he took a leap of faith scared.</p>

Lindsay Weston
      Participant

Lisa

I stay in my “safe lane” as well because it is comfortable here and its fearful to me not knowing what is out there. This course is in fact pulling me out of my box and I realize that staying in my “safe lane”  may cause me to miss out on a valuable opportunity.

Lindsay Weston
      Participant

Elizabeth

At some point we have all conquered fear in our lives. We have started journeys and acquired skills afraid. Now I barely remember being afraid at all? Coaching is so much deeper than originally thought.  I hope to remember these all of these feelings as I am gaining a better understating of what the clients will be feeling

Paquila Hudson
      Participant

What stood out for me in the book are the reasons why people feel stuck.  Overwhelmed is a feeling that I feel all too often.  I’m overbooked with work from my job.  Then on my off days when I should be resting, there’s a thousand things around the house that I need to do while my kids are all vying for my attention to deal with their needs.  Then I become exhausted which zaps any motivation that I once had to do anything.  Vision tends to become more and more dim when you have no energy and that makes it easy to slip into hopelessness.  Then the “trapped rat feeling” comes into play.  Clarifying what your values are will be very helpful when making decisions that will facilitate change.  I believe that when you are aware of your values and establish them in your life, making decisions with purpose will become easier.  I believe that these decisions will help a person to formulate a vision for their lives again, even if its just a short term goal of getting unstuck.

Paquila Hudson
      Participant

Replying to Elizabeth

It seems that fear usually shows up when life changing decisions hang in the balance.  It always seems like fear shows up to resist change, or when our mind can’t make logic of something.  I had heard once that the brain tends to resist change because it maintains balance.  I have also heard that when you operate in faith you help to create new pathways in your brain.  I have also been fearful about dropping hours at my job in order to be available for all that God has for me and obedient but I realize that it is a change that I have to make or go nuts.  I realized that this was the case with one of my clients and it made it much easier to relate to her during the session.

Latoya Brown
      Participant

In this weeks reading what stood out to me was that in my present state I am feeling overwhelmed and as I am reading why individuals get stuck overwhelmed was the first thing on the chart and it was like OMG!! that is so me right now along with other things discussed the chart. So I am stuck! So that made me realize that i have more work to do. Focus on my values, set goals and make some changes. I believe that we all have been there at one point and being able to relate and come out of this then i could definitely help my client to come successful with moving forward. On page 153 it talked about finding your passion and even provides a table on 155 that can help identify your passion i was excited as I love to help people, I am resourceful so i believe that when you can identify your passion it will definitely help to walk in your purpose.

Latoya Brown
      Participant

@Liz  I agree fear always rears its head when we trying to move in the right direction. Fear will have you feeling inadequate and asking why am I here. But I am often reminded that God did not give us the spirit of fear but of love and a sound mind. So I push through it.

Latoya Brown
      Participant

@ Paquilla  yes i agree i too often feel overwhelmed i just took a few days off and i couldn’t even rest because i was thinking of all the things i needed to do around the house. i have drifted to looking at my workstation thinking about the work i left and the work that will be assigned while i was away.

Paquila Hudson
      Participant

Replying to Lisa

I also enjoyed the illustration about Jonah the goldfish.  Sometimes we choose to stay in a safe little space when big bathtub opportunities are open to us.  Taking this course and reaching out to other people for coaching sessions is me swimming out to the other end of the tub.  For one of my recent clients, accepting a church leadership position was her” bathtub moment” and I was glad that I was able to use what I’ve experienced in this course to help her stop swimming in small circles.

Elizabeth Howze
      Participant

@paquila

Yes! I am learning more and more within my coaching sessions that value systems are gold! I’ve began to incorporate asking my clients to identify 3-5 values upfront! Then, I’m able to use those value systems to guide the conversation. When they show up behaviors, I either celebrate them or I call out the inconsistency. Whenever, we are able to articulate and explore the inconsistency, the client finds their way forward into more desirable behaviors and wants to set up a plan for change!

Latasha Lunford
      Participant

This week’s reading serves as a foundation for the start of coaching. Whether we are coaching each other or coaching others, we have to first become aware of ourselves. Our strengths and weaknesses will help us identify our circumstances, values, and passions. It was also important that the book suggests that we, as coaches have to recognize our own strengths and weaknesses before coaching others. Many areas of our lives will improve such as; reduced anxiety, increased goal attainment, enhanced cognitive hardiness and higher levels of personal insight. Asking those closest to us to evaluate us will also help bring us more clarity on things that we may not be able to recognize ourselves. That outside perspective will provide a perspective that the person on the inside would probably have never identified. One thing that I found interesting was the idea of focusing on the strengths is more effective than focusing on the weaknesses. Many people consider their passions as strengths because it motivates them to move forward in life. Passions give purpose. It is a driving force that inspires, fulfills, and produces excitement. For me, I thought my passion was in helping people. But after doing soul searching, I have found that my passion is dancing. That was something that was so unexpected in my discoveries.

Latasha Lunford
      Participant

Latoya, I agree with your response. Page 153 discusses how to find my passion. It was amazingly  powerful when the author gives us a statement to fill in the blank for ourselves, even our clients. “When I _______, I feel God’s pleasure.” The books suggests that it may be difficult for some people to answer, it was not for me. “When I Praise him with DANCE, I feel God’s pleasure.” This statement has allowed me to discover my passion. On page 155, it gives us questions to answer in regards to finding our inner core passion. For me, the questions confirmed my response in praise dancing.

Latasha Lunford
      Participant

Paquila, I can identify with your response for this week. I too was feeling stuck and overwhelmed. My vision for the future was becoming dim. But I have found that setting a schedule and concentrating on bursts of energy during a certain time span will help tremendously. I also set a schedule for every body in the house to revolve around my schedule. I looked at my values and prioritize that schedule to fit into my vision of what a purposeful day will look like for me.

Lisa
      Participant

@Latasha Lunford I often do what I call a “self check” through others. What I mean is that I will often ask people who I trust to provide me constructive feedback on certain areas of my life, especially if they know the direction or path that I’m currently taking or working on. I have found that feedback from my previous bosses and employees have been instrumental in seeing myself through eyes of someone who has nothing to gain or lose from me.

Lisa
      Participant

Responding to Paquila wow you head the nail right on the nail regarding the feeling of being overwhelmed by the constant demands of life. Up until I read your summary I was feeling like I was the only one going through. You make a wonderful point if we define and clarify our value  handling these daily demands will be with greater peace and purpose.

Monique L. Ross
      Participant

what stood out to me the most in this weeks reading was firstly the importance of values. It seems that having a core grasp on your belief system and those ideas that you hold dear will be necessary to be effective in helping your clients. As we are christian life coaches our belief system and values are based on the teachings we have been taught about our faith. The author said that we often believe what we have been taught without much thought. As we are growing in life and mature mentally our  values change. As a coach I wonder if we are truly able to place our value system aside and truly be in tune with the client as it poses a possible conflict.  Also in the chapter the author talked about Paul’s plight from prison not having a public platform but still being able to be effective. Its important that we all take a look at ourselves while we all want to be a star sometimes we will our best work under the radar.  Humility is key and moving self out of the way in all that we do.

Monique L. Ross
      Participant

Responding Coach Quila I agree sometimes being overwhelmed makes us question things. Having are values in tact is the way we stay on course. Values keep us within our guidelines so that we stay in order. Balance is key with all things. Without balance we wont be able to be effective in helping our clients or ourselves.

Viewing 35 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.