ShShares NETWORK

Week 7 Questions & Discussion

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

***What stood out for you most in this week’s reading?***

1. Post a 150+ word Weekly Reading Summary
      2. Post a 50+ word reply to 2 other learners
      3. Post all of your questions and answers here regarding the reading material for the week.

KaMyka Glenn
      Participant

I LOVED the analogy geese leadership analogy in chapter 4. It reminds us that “LEADERSHIP IS AN ACTION, NOT A POSITION,” which entails guiding, teaching, modeling, demonstrating the way to be an effective leader. When the author outlines the way in which God found his leaders— in unlikely places and people that didn’t even know that they had leadership qualities or was capable of being a leader. This reminds me that CAN and WILL USE ANYBODY for his kingdom building. So we have to be open, willing, and humble vessels to do his work. HE EQUIPS WHO HE CALLS!!!
      In chapter 15, the differences between the discussed coaching types was very interesting in regards to how they broke it down.
      Life coaching- deals with purpose, schedule, and values
      Business coaching- deals with personal and organizational performance goals

Career Coaching – focuses on strengths, gifts, and temperament
      Relationship Coaching deals with pleasure, pain, or confusion.

This was great insight because I never looked at it like this or even thought about it in this manner. I believe that this is helpful when trying to decide my specialty. I also could appreciate the view on marriage coaching that was provided because it helps me to see how to use some of the techniques in my coaching methods depending on the type of coaching.
      Chapter 16 discussed the Protean Careers and this just spoke to me because I believe this is where I am right now in life. As I am stepping boldly into my self- employed journey, I can agree that freedom, growth, self-fulfillment, and mobility are definitely more important to me than job security, salary, title, or position. I desire to be happy, to grow in various ways, to have the creativity and freedom to do/ try things in different manners, as well as create various sources of income and be creative in how that income is obtained. I realize that not only concerning a career but in my spiritual life as well that my job is to be done across the world just as my kingdom gifts. Being in one place is so limiting to me so I  cannot wait to embark on this journey, especially with the new found clarity, teaching, and outlook.

I believe Paul’s words makes for a great transition from chapter 16 to 17. He said, ” I declare today that I have been faithful… My life is worth nothing to me unless I use it for finishing the work assigned to me by the Lord Jesus. Where is God in this process of coaching and journey of life. This chapter confirms to me that God is everywhere and even if you don’t feel comfortable or unable to say his name, pray, or feel that you are good enough, know that God everywhere and walking each and every step with you. I believe the author said it perfectly,” You may not be able to pray with the people you coach, but YOU CAN PRAY FOR THEM. You may not feel adequate to meet all the coaching issues you encounter, but YOU CAN ASK GOD FOR GUIDANCE AND KNOW THAT ULTIMATELY YOUR SUFFICIENCY IS IN CHRIST. You may not be able to talk openly about your values, beliefs, or evangelistic concerns, but YOU CAN LET YOUR LIGHT SO SHINE AMONG OTHERS THAT THEY MAY SEE YOUR VALUES AND GOOD WORKS SO THAT SOONER OR LATER, EVERYONE WILL ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THIS IS FROM YOUR HEAVENLY FATHER. This serves as a great reminder to me of where my help comes from and no matter the circumstance, let your light shine, be faithful, work to edify and please God, then he will do the rest.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by KaMyka Glenn.

Yes, ma’am!!  Coach Kymyka, you hit the ‘goose’ on the head!   “I declare today that I have been faithful..”, that is such a wonderful self check and I will begin using that as of today!

Also, the “he equips who he calls”… that is such an awesome reminder and a fear killer.

I love your insight, great write up!

Luberta Lytle
          Participant

KaMyka,

You statement hit true to home today.  I had a pastor visit me at work today and he had confirmation for me from God.  Before he left my office, he informed me that I had a little shining around me and that I needed to get ready for my calling to become a leader for God by sharing my story with women, to empower, motivate and let them know that they are worthy of all Gods blessing.  This message confirmed everything that I have been praying for and about regarding my true purpose.  I declare today, that my light will continue to shine bright and I will answer the call.

KaMyka Glenn
            Participant

Awesome, Luberta! Yessssssss … WONT HE DO IT! You see, have the tools, and support… so just WALK!

KaMyka Glenn
          Participant

Thank you, Kim! Yes, we have to tackle these fears and self doubt!

I think I realize now more than before that even though I will have a specialization ..or niche clientele that I will market to, it is important for me to coach the person as a whole.  As mentioned on pg 273 (ch 17), if a client brings up health, education, career…all of which are outside of my niche, I must be able to coach on that help them weave that into their long term goal as needed.  I like how the book states “…all of these areas of our lives make up who we are and how effective we are…”.  I understand that this particular section is in relation to corporate coaching, but I can’t help but see it on a broader scale.

Kamyka,

you’re so right..one thing that we fail to remember at times is the fact that if God called us, He will equip and empower us for the work He’s entrusted us with and called us to do…so many times we get so caught up defending the fact that God called us, that we neglect to do that which He has called us to do.

KaMyka Glenn
          Participant

Na’khia,

You’re so right and when we try to do things on our own then we begin to think about how can we do it, can we afford it, etc. But when we remember that God has equipped and called us then he will make the provision, direction, guidance, as long as we seek him, are obedient, trust him and remember him in all that we do.

KaMyka Glenn
        Participant

Kim,

I agree with you whole heartedly! Coaching the whole person is important and we will come across it in all of our sessions.

Meochia Clayton
      Participant

What stood out most for me in this week’s reading:  starts on page 276, when the author states “Board dynamics often are about peoples’ issues.”  You have people who are quiet; you have others that take the lead and do all of the talking.  Some of the quieter members need to speak up and realize the value of their contributions and some more vocal people need to be more restrained, actively listening and collaborative.  And some need to get off the board altogether and make way for fresh energy, vision and leadership.  I think that using a coach to improve a board can be very helpful.  I was once a member of a traditional Baptist Church and the pastor made it known that he could perform his purpose as the church leader if some of the older board members were no longer around.  He couldn’t get anywhere with those board members, so he had to eventually leave the Baptist denomination and start an undenominational church in order to serve the members as he felt he was being lead by God.  It was so disheartening how the Pastor had to fight with the Board members for any type of change that he wanted to present to the church.  However, the Board members who were much older than the pastor and had been members of the church since the beginning, they wanted to have control of the church.  Did they consult with God before making decisions, I don’t think that God would tell them to fight against the Pastor.  If there was a coach that both parties (the pastor and the board) respected, I think they could have worked to some type of agreement and the pastor could have remained at the Baptist church.

<span style=”color: #313b3d; font-family: ‘Open Sans’, ‘Helvetica Neue’, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; -webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0); -webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%;”>Meochia,</span>

I totally agree…you definitely find this in the more traditional churches…(regardless of denomination) most times if you go into a church that has either been established for a long time, family run, or have older members, if you are innovative, visionary or a game changer, you best believe you are going to run into some opposition…however I believe that those who are truly called by God will pray and ask God to touch them to either get on board and go with the flow or be willing enough to step aside and let someone else help to get the vision moving.

KaMyka Glenn
        Participant

Meochia,

I agree that having balance on a board or organization is vital along with having the same vision. If we aren’t on the same page then it will be very challenging to reach our goals. As we build our business, the book reminds us how key balance is and trusting the process.

This week’s reading was very powerful.  It definitely made me aware of the specialty in which I desire to coach.  Chapter 4 and dealing with leadership made me laugh at myself.  A lot of times I shunned leadership roles/positions because I felt that I was not qualified or equipped to lead.  Quite frankly I didn’t want to be bothered with all that leadership entails.  However, as I came into my own person, and built a stronger relationship with God I accepted the fact that I was indeed called to lead.  As the book states on page 70 that leaders who are chosen by God are sensitive to His voice.  That is soooo true…you must be sensitive to the voice of God because sometimes…well, a lot of times, when yo are truly called by God to do anything, He will instruct you to do some things that will have you like HUH…but it’s all to see if you’ll trust that His way is THE way.

One thing that stood out and I guess as a Christian woman it will always be present for me because I want to make sure I’m representing Christ in every area of my life was when the author said on page 278 that the Christian commitment is NEVER pushed aside for corporate expediency.  That statement reminded me of the discussion we had a few weeks ago.  Sometimes it can be easy to get caught up in the things of the world, but we must realize that we are called to be a light and to let our lights shine before me…that God may be glorified.

Meochia,

I totally agree…you definitely find this in the more traditional churches…(regardless of denomination) most times if you go into a church that has either been established for a long time, family run, or have older members, if you are innovative, visionary or a game changer, you best believe you are going to run into some opposition…however I believe that those who are truly called by God will pray and ask God to touch them to either get on board and go with the flow or be willing enough to step aside and let someone else help to get the vision moving.

KaMyka Glenn
        Participant

Na’khia,

Maannnnn that call is no joke. When he calls you to it and we fight it only prolongs it. I’ve been there and probably still doing it. lol But remembering to never push y christian lifestyle aside is key and has been hard to do at times. However, I am reminded of the times that I was obedient in staying to true that God showed me who he was and who I am in him. SO I try to be obedient and just walk in what I know God has given me and how he’s given it to me. I can only be ME!

Luberta Lytle
      Participant

Na’Khia,

I agree with you statement regarding traditional churches.  My church is experiencing that right now.  The Pastor has a new way of wanting to worship and fellowship, but several of the older members are not wanting to change.  These members are causing friction in the church, because they feel that this church has survived all of these years and they should not have to change anything, but they are missing the big picture.  We should all be serving for the glory of God not man.

Luberta Lytle
      Participant

This weeks reading talked about leadership on page 71 in the following manner, “Leaders also have integrity.  Their words counts.  They can be trusted to do what they say they will do.  They decide in their minds what is right, and that is how they act consistently.  They rarely talk about their morals because they don’t have to.  They live what they stand for and everybody see this, starting with their closest friends and family members.  Leaders without integrity are tolerated and sometimes even appreciated for their contributions, but they are never trusted or genuinely respected and they don’t have much creditability.

People have told me for years that I make a good leader, because I have always treated everyone the same.  I feel that everyone is one that same playing field and that people should not be treated different because of their race or educational background.  Some of the smartest people in the world are actually the dumbest people in our society.  My integrity and honest has gotten me into a lot of trouble at my current workplace, but its all good.  I will stand on this method of living life until my life is over.  For the above reason is why I have never wanted to be in an leadership type position, because I will not compromise my beliefs, just to hold a position within anyone company.  Money is important, but I am not willing to lower my integrity for a higher paycheck and feel horrible about myself on a day to day basis.

KaMyka Glenn
      Participant

Luberta,

Integrity… that hit me hard as well because I live by my character and my integrity. I don’t let anyone sway me either. I’m proud of you and your stand …for that you are a leader. You are demonstrating how true leaders are suppose to lead and interact with others. BE YOU ON PUROSE!

Coach D Nicole!
      Keymaster

<p class=”MsoNormal”>In this week’s reading about leadership was very interesting. I like how the chapter starts off with referencing the leaders in the bible. Leaders who God selected but seem not to be qualified or interested and had no idea that God would choose them.</p>
      <p class=”MsoNormal”>Leadership is action, not position. This statement was very profound.  Leadership is not position that we apply for. It is possible to be a leader without a public platform or big title.  To be honest, I use to think you needed or had to be part of an organization or a certain job title to be in a leadership position. I even joined a group known as Toastmasters to get my foot in leadership. Being in that organization did teach me a lot about leadership. However this chapter gave me more. I can lead through the way I live and of course through coaching.</p>

<p class=”MsoNormal”>I also like how the chapter states that coaching can be used to build leaders and empower leaders. It also so mentions how leadership is not about what you know but about building teams, encouraging and creating vision. I look forward to being more effective in leadership and in coaching.</p>

Coach D Nicole!
      Keymaster

I enjoyed reading all the different types of coaching niches. Coaching relationships was the first interesting one to me. This type of coaching can be about a client’s relationship with God, friendship’s, kids, or any other relationships.  I like how it discuss how coaching gives the client the ability to engage and sustain healthy relationships. I truly believe that relationship are so important, especially healthy one.  Also in marriage coaching how it helps growth and healing for the couples.  I appreciate the discussion of how marriage counseling can be very close to marriage coaching.</p>
      The other chapter discuss, career coaching and business coaching, executive coaching.  Career coaching helps people with career choices and growth. What stood out to me was that in all of this The Holy spirit guides us through this process and God constantly in control of who we are and gives us the wisdom to know what we are to do with our careers. Being that I recently had a change with career wise. I can relate to this statement, without the Holy Spirit guiding me and God being in control of my life, I would have had no idea of what to do. The Holy Spirit is a definite that we as Christian coaches will truly rely on for this journey. And as stated in the last chapter 18, Coaching is a discipline of helping people grow without telling them what to do.  Telling them what to do, would be too easy and how would clients learn to trust themselves and their own decisions, if we told them what to do. We are here to guide and help Clients find direction to where they want to be.</p>

The different types of specialties are truly interesting.  In reading these chapters really helped me to make a decision on which specialty I would like to use.</p>

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hello everyone!!

One of the things that just hit me today, (well it has hit before) but I will say hit in a different way. Through learning about being a coach we know that we are too being coached to become. However, another “ahh ha” moment for me in this weeks reading has been, we can use this book to coach for real!! Not just the charts but some of the actual chapters especially in group settings. For those who have and may never have a reason to ever read this book. The lessons, stories and examples in this book are helpful and have been helpful to me during this transition into this new found life I’m building.

Anonymous
      Inactive

The other thing that was a “hmmm wow” moment was something we honestly do often think about, every leader is not always currently in a position to lead, or in leadership position. They are usually (me) the ones that are not trying to be in front  or not even thinking about being in the front.

Latoya Brown
      Participant

In this week’s reading I enjoyed reading the different specialties of coaching.  I enjoyed reading about Leadership coaching, I am currently a Leader and there was something that stood out to me was “LEADERSHIP IS ACTION, NOT A POSITION” this is a quote I say often because being a Leader is not about the position. It is about leading and guiding as well as serving those under and around you. Being a leader also means being a servant just as the parable shared in the book Matthew 20:20-28 that Jesus demonstrated servant leadership. the author also states that leadership coaching is to help leaders become better leaders and equipping leaders to use coaching as way of leading others. I believe that leadership coaching is necessary as it will help develop individuals in to leaders.

In Chapter 18 what stood out the most to me was story of Melinda when she was asked what would see do with a million dollars and they she gave her vision. The coach told her to Pray about it and let God lead her. That vision became a reality within a course of year. We must seek God in everything. My passion is helping other with there vision and tuning into their God given purpose.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.